Annual Returns - RIP

Annual Returns - RIP


Since 1 July 2016 Annual Returns (AR) with Companies House, have been abolished and replaced with a confirmation statement (CS).


Whats the difference?


Annual Returns

Each year your company needed to provide an Annual Return (AR) to Companies House giving details of registered office, directors, shares and shareholders. But since the 1st July 2016 this has been replaced with a new style of document, the Confirmation Document (CS).

Whats the difference?

The CS is intended to serve the same purpose as the AR, however, you will now also need to provide details of those people with significant control within your company.

What is a Person of Significant control (PSC)?

A PSC is anyone in a company, LLP or SE who meets one or more of the conditions listed in the legislation. This is someone who:

  • owns more than 25% of the company’s shares
  • holds more than 25% of the company’s voting rights
  • holds the right to appoint or remove the majority of directors
  • has the right to, or actually exercises significant influence or control holds the right to exercise or actually exercises significant control over a trust or company that meets one of the first 4 conditions.


Is there still a Charge?

Yes; The CS still costs the same £13 if filed online with Companies House or £40 if filed on paper.



Member of the Association of Chartered

Certified Accountants.


Copy Right Sunflower Accounts 2012

Registered in England & Wales

Company number 7894750

Sunflower Accounts Ltd

27 Poynder Place




SN11 8SQ


T: 01249 760215

M: +44(0)7735363033